Shine Fm Blog
Keeping Your Dog Safe
I was saddened to hear about the little Jack Russell-Schnauzer cross named Pixie, who was mauled to death a couple weeks ago by a larger dog in the park. What I can't believe is that the larger dog's owner didn't even help. It just goes to show how important it is to always be aware of what's going on around you and your dog when at a park or on your daily walk. If you're not sure what you need to watch out for, here are some of the city guidelines to help keep your dog safe in off-leash parks.
1) Honour bylaw rules - licence, leash, control and pick-up after your dog. Keep dogs 10 meters away from school grounds, playgrounds, sport fields and picnic sites.
2) Allow your dog off-leash only within the boundaries of designated off-leash areas
Walk restricted dogs away from off-leash parks - they are not allowed
in. These dogs much always be leased and muzzled outside your property.
4) Limit aggressive dog behaviour - immediately leash and check your dog if it acts hostile towards people, other dogs or wildlife.
5) Train your dog to respond to voice and signal commands.
6) Carry a leash on every walk - restrain your dog where required, especially on trails, and use a leash no longer than two metres.
Be considerate and responsible - keep your dog in sight, stay alert for
other trail traffic, restrain your dog around other park or trail users
and walk on the right.
The Shine FMHow can we pray for you?
SUBMIT EVENTLet everyone know about
GET CONNECTEDJoin the Circle of Friends for
email alerts and updates.
CONTACT USDidn't catch that number?
Need our address? Find it here.